Thursday, October 24, 2013

Date: 10/24/2013

Day: 28

Location:  Framingham, MA 

Miles Today: 157

Total Miles:  6237



An 18th Century Farm Home, Portsmouth, NH  Seen on the Road


No, it's not a movie set


People actually do live here; very nice people, indeed.


The Colonel slept here last night.  (Perhaps in a hundred years there will be a plaque.) (Probably not.)

About 100 blueberry bushes.

One expects to see Hobbits, but they are notoriously hard to see.

This is a real barn, with ambient chickens.  Note the trusty Acura on the right.

 

Portsmouth, New Hampshire

 
Portsmouth (previously and incorrectly identified herein as being in Maine)  is a classy tourist town; nice restaurants, interesting shops, a minimum number of Tee shirt emporia.  It is a really great place to stroll for a couple hours on a crisp fall day.  The Colonel put his hand in the Atlantic (the same hand that was washed in the waters of the Pacific three weeks ago) and got on the outside of a lobster lunch with a Guinness to help it down.  Golly!

 
The North Congregational Church
 
 

Note the list of luminaries who have bent a knee here.  (Do Congregationalists kneel?)  They are admirably careful about the organized vs. structure built dates.

Moe's sandwich sign.
 Are the sandwiches also cut on the bias?  Should be.
 


The books as object in a florist shop.
The Colonel is bothered by the idea of books as décor.


Fundamentally unsound on the subject.
A person should never do anything they find scary.  (Fear is a survival characteristic to be treated with respect.)  Unless one has to, then you do it and don't whine.  The person who made this has never been scared.




Great name for a men's wear shop, but look closely at those ties in the window!!



Is the name or the chambered nautilus logo better?  It was closed for the season.


Death on a plate
 Lobster and mac?  Just a tiny bit rich.  How do they survive in Portsmouth?  Good thoracic surgeons, probably.


 


This is an almost cool Halloween theme window dressing.  Full marks for the real straight razors and the fake blood, FAIL for the plastic pumpkin.

Gourmet, Premium, Excellent.
 And not too bashful to let you know about it.  Nice ironwork.


The port in Portsmouth.





 

The Portsmouth Athenaeum, with canon.

 
 
 


 

 

Again, not clear on the concept.

They ought to make these for old guys.  The Colonel would have bought one if they were available in his size.  Less the bottom flap.  Perhaps.

Seen on the Road


Nudists in New Hampshire?

Given that it was about 30 degrees last night, it is likely this place is closed.  No, the Colonel did not check it out.  It is an iron law of humankind that people willing to take their clothes off in public are always the wrong people.


Where the Colonel comes from it is Office Depot or Office max.  Boring.  In New Hampshire the paper clip delivery truck looks left over from the first Lincoln campaign.  Classy.


Tomorrow: a visit to the MFA and the Gardner museum in Boston.  A visit to Provincetown at the extreme end of Cape Cod.  Then we run south before the looming snow toward Key West.  No more north, no more east.

Wellington Boot, Col

1 comment:

  1. "Do one thing a day that scares you" is a line from (among other things) "Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen" by Baz Luhrmann which should be on your Roadtrip playlist.
    The idea is like this: as a creative person, I am always asked to do things I never did before. I almost always agree to the challenge, and I always proceed AS IF I know what I'm doing. But I would be an idiot if I wasn't scared-- I do not know what I am doing, I have no track history, I am re-inventing the wheel, faking it until I make it, in other words, fun. Scary fun, but fun, and unsafe and scary. Fear of failure keeps my wits sharp. Safe drawings are ones that I can do in my sleep and hold little interest to me,

    Nice magic hour morning shots, it looks like to me. And signage is strong in selections. You are in focus, (yay) but could move a scootch closer for many of them. If you have to err though, I can always zoom in, so jusut a scootch, I'll rustle uo some Boston Signage from the 1980 I took if I can find em.

    Have fun on 128 when it's cold outside. I'm in love with Massachusetts.
    Where's the Stop and Shop? We need milk. And love.

    Going to Trickster Gallery's Halloween bash tonight dressed as a rockstar. Ie: my gig outfit and bass, I am a livinghalloween costume. Waiting until dark until going out...

    Have fun, Sarge,

    Dan


    ReplyDelete